Career Path Trends

Career Path Trends

Career Path Trends

Sarah Pettit

Isn’t it intriguing to think about what your peers are planning to do for a career? Maybe you even know what career path you are going to take on once you graduate. The students here at THS are known for their goal-oriented, success-driven personalities when it comes to their career paths. Some choose to dream big and pursue careers that many others wouldn’t even consider pursuing, where there might be fighting crime for the FBI, or becoming a New York Times Best-Selling author. Some will truly be inspired and have the courage to take on Hollywood one day to star in movies, or perform world tours. But has it ever crossed your mind as to what career paths are most demanding? Which job fields students prefer the most? Which ones most students tend to steer away from? The statistics are bound to surprise you. 

According to Author Kate Beckman, in her article “The Most In-Demand College Majors” she stated the top five job fields students will go into are business management and operations, economics and finance, marketing, computer science, and lastly, mathematics. But why is this? What is it about these career paths that are so intriguing to students? 

Business News Daily mentioned that business is popular because of its variety of jobs within the field, and the ability of being your own boss is something many students like the idea of. Marketing and communications is well-liked due to it’s usually high salaries for all jobs within the field; the career path is also fairly achievable. Usually, science-loving students will steer towards computer science because the job is so needed for large companies, science experiments, and collecting data for various reasons. When it comes to economics, the reasoning behind this career path being favored by a majority of students is due to it’s incredible reputation for raising great entrepreneurs. In fact, Northwestern University once said in their article “Why Study Economics” that studying economics can help entrepreneurs be very successful due to the rigorous studies in how markets function and succeed. Lastly, from Phdstudies.com, mathematics is a career for a lot of students who plan on participating in a job such as a accountant, a financial advisor, or becoming a mathematics teacher. 

Although there are many jobs that a majority of students are willing to pursue, there are still many that most students would never consider. According to Author Gurmeet Kaur, when it comes to career,  the paths that most students don’t follow are animation, event management, photography, or professional artistry. These jobs as a whole are very creative and are jobs that aren’t at all easy to achieve, such as animation. Animation is a very competitive field, especially if you’re wanting to work for Disney or DreamWorks Animation. You have to compete to even have a chance at landing a job there, making a lot of students not acknowledge that career as an option for them when they graduate. But, all of these jobs are still options and should be considered for the students who crave creativity in the workplace. 

As you can see by all the data gathered, the career paths with the highest demand are practical career paths that are achievable, with a stable income, and a job students see themselves being secure in. But on the other hand, the jobs with very little students wanting to get involved with after schooling, are more creative, unique, and a little more difficult than others. One thing to remember, though, is that no job is too much or completely unachievable. That is the best thing about finding a career path, there is so much to pick from and so many possibilities that you are sure to find one completely right for you.