Tips and Advice for a Successful Resolution

Kayla Ducey

At the end of every December, the well beloved, or the well despised-ringing of New Year’s is in the air. The year of 2020, as many may know, did not go how the majority of people would have expected. The start of the year seemed bright and hopeful, things were looking up. Then March came, and the Coronavirus caused everyone to isolate themselves and stay inside. During quarantine, we had to adapt and change. We had to learn new hobbies and change our lifestyle in the first quarter of a year… 2020 has really made it feel like New Year’s Resolutions have become obsolete. The reason being, anything can be done at a certain time and nothing is predictable anymore. 

According to the U.S. News and World Report, 80% of New Year’s Resolutions are not reached or are even over by mid-February (Most People Fail to Achieve Their New Year’s Resolutions). It is no surprise that achieving goals is hard. It is important to remind ourselves how things work, and how hard we need to work to achieve the things we want and strive for. In order to make smart resolutions and to possibly disarm the disappointment of failure, it would be wise to set up smaller goals to reach the crowning achievement. Likewise, when 2020 came around, we did not know how things would go. We did not imagine having a viral outbreak of a virus causing governors to lockdown states, and deny access to such common places like schools.

To be sure that things get started on the right foot, it would be the best course of action to start small. Things have never been more unpredictable! For a habit to become automatic, it is believed to need 66 days of repetition of the action for it to be developed as muscle memory. (How to Make your New Year’s Resolution Last)

In order to draw connections to these statistics from other websites, a poll was conducted to see how Tumwater High School students performed with their resolutions.

When asked about previous resolutions, things became more clear. People were more apt to say that they want to do something than actually doing it. 59.3% of Tumwater Students polled said that they did have a resolution last year, of those who did have a previous resolution only 26.1% actually succeeded in their goals. Another 26.1% said that they were partially successful; however, the majority of students had a 47.8% of failure.

Out of 27 people polled, 81.5% of those said they were planning on doing a resolution this year. The recurring goals being drinking more water, working out, or losing excess weight. Several other students also expressed a want to better themselves educationally. By going to college, reading more, or just creating better ways to study and manage time.

New Year’s is a great time to try and better ourselves. To be completely honest, at the end of the year, or even day, it’s not about what we have not accomplished, but what we are capable of accomplishing. It is more important to stay positive and uplifting than it is to torture ourselves and embrace the negativity of the world. It is our ability, as individuals to be the light for other people and to promote self-love, care, and to be the best versions of ourselves.